Monday, February 6, 2012

A Pasta Favorite.

I love pasta, but you already knew that. A few years ago I wanted to find some more ways to incorporate Organic veggies and a lighter sauce into my menu, and after hunting for a few months - I got lucky. I found some Italian style recipes that I really loved, but I didn't want to add cheese, fatty meats or too many calories, so I made some changes. This dish has been in the front of my recipe box for years and when my husband requested it last week, I was pumped.

K's Chicken Italiano
  • 1/2 red pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 green pepper, chopped
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 6 medium mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
  • 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • Salt & pepper
  • 1 tsp. sugar
  • 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
  • 1 tbsp. tomato paste
  • 1 can (29oz.) tomato sauce
  • 2 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • Linguine
In a small frying pan, cook chicken until no longer pink. Allow to cool, cut into small cubes and set aside.

In a medium pot, add the peppers, onions, mushrooms and oil - cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.

Add the Italian seasoning, garlic, salt, pepper, sugar, vinegar, tomato paste & sauce. Cook, covered, on low for 30 minutes.

While your sauce is simmering, cook linguine according to package.

After 30 minutes, add cooked chicken to sauce, mix well. Cook for an additional 10 minutes.

To serve, put linguine on a plate and cover with sauce mixture.

This dish goes great with a side salad, garlic bread or would travel well to take to a family dinner. Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment