Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Wrap it up.

Weight loss is one of the most popular resolutions that people make, but it's important to remember that 'healthy' isn't a number. Lean muscle weighs more than fat, water is essential to a healthy life and diet & exercise are the key to success. Now, I want to continue to make good choices for myself and for my family, but for me, being healthy is mostly about how you feel. When I eat a lot of fruit, whole grains & leafy veggies, I feel great. I have more energy, I feel more alive... and I keep up with Ellie a lot better.

However, making better choices often leads to eating the same foods over and over again - which gets boring for everyone. This wrap recipe is a great way to eat better (about 350-400 calories) without sacrificing great taste. It's one of my new favorites!

Shrimp Wrap
  • Shrimp, peeled & de-veined
  • 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
  • 1 tsp. Southwest seasoning
  • Pepper
  • Lime juice (I squeeze 1 fresh, medium lime)
  • Whole wheat wraps (or whatever you like)
  • Light or low fat sour cream
  • Cheese, fresh shredded (I used low-fat Cheddar)
  • Lettuce
  • Fresh salsa, drained. (You could use a jar of salsa if that's what you have, just pour some into a colander so that most of the liquid is gone)
  • Hot sauce, optional
In a small bowl, mix shrimp, all seasonings, pepper & lime juice. Try to get the shrimp evenly coated.

In a pan, on medium heat, cook shrimp until no longer pink - approximately 3 minutes. Remove from pan.

Place you wrap on a plate and add sour cream (a light layer). Add lettuce, cheese, shrimp and salsa. (Top with hot sauce if you choose) Roll it up and eat.

So simple and tastes great. I've also made these with chicken and been really happy with them. I've also added veggies or greens to bulk it up - try peppers, onion, mushrooms, bean sprouts, guacamole, tomatoes, carrots or cucumbers.

I also love a great chicken & fruit wrap. Use low-fat yogurt instead of the sour cream, cook the chicken alone and add some honey instead of the seasonings, add sweet lettuce, mandarin oranges, strawberries & Craisins. Experiment and have fun with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment