Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Berries.

Yesterday I spend most of my day cooking, baking & crafting - 3 of my favorite things. Since my husband has been super busy at work, I've been cooking up a bunch of stuff on Sunday because he needs lunch, dinner & a snack for him to make it through the work day -- he's been working a lot. However, since he was off yesterday, my schedule shifted one day.

So, to make my life easier, and because I'm type A - I plan. I sat for 2 hours on Sunday night looking through my new cookbooks & magazines (Taste of Home is still one of my favorites!), planning out our meals for the next 2 weeks, making my grocery lists, etc. One of the great things I made yesterday was a coffee cake. I posted about it and since it came out so good - I wanted to share it with you.
Fresh from the oven

Berry Almond Coffee Cake
  • 1 cup blueberries, separated
  • 1/2 cup raspberries
  • 3 tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 3 tbsp. butter, melted
  • 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • With glaze
  • 1/4 cup sliced almonds
Glaze
  • 1/2 - 3/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. milk
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract 
In a small bowl, combine half the blueberries, all the raspberries and the brown sugar. Toss to coat and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a small bowl, mix the egg, sour cream, butter and vanilla.

Stir the wet mixture into the dry until just combined. Fold in the remaining blueberries.

Spray a round baking dish (8-10 inch) with Pam for Baking. Spoon in half the batter.
Top with your blueberry, raspberry, sugar mixture, and add the remaining batter.

Once assembled, sprinkle with cinnamon and almonds.

Bake at 350 for approximately 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Ready to eat

Allow the cake to cool in the pan for at least 15 minutes before trying to remove it.

While it's cooling down, you can make the glaze by simply adding all the ingredients in a small bowl and mixing well. You can add more powdered sugar if the consistency is off a little - it's personal preference.

When the cake is cool, drizzle the glaze over it, allow it set for a few minutes, cut & enjoy. If you love berries, this one's for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment