Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Making take-out.

I love Thai & Chinese food and am always making stir-fry and soups at home. I love the way the sweet rice and veggies taste together -- and the sauces are amazing! I'd take the sauce from a Thai dish and hook it to my veins if I could. (You could put that stuff on a cardboard box and it would taste good)

I've been using All Recipes a lot lately, and really love their meal spinner app. I love how you can choose the ingredients you want and the ones you don't, and it generates a recipe. They also break it down by food group and food lifestyle choice - this has been my go-to recipe searcher. I know that I've shared my favorite make-at-home Thai soup, so I thought I choose a more popular dish this time to share with you.

Sweet-n-Sour Chicken
  • 2 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 small green bell pepper, sliced
  • 1 small red bell pepper, sliced
  • 1 cup carrot, cut into strips
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks, juice reserved
  • 1 tablespoon white vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ginger
  • Jasmine rice 
Cook rice according to package. 

In a large pot, brown chicken, in oil,over medium heat until no longer pink. (I like mine slightly golden)
Add green bell pepper, red bell pepper, carrot and garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
 
In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and soy sauce and mix well. Pour mixture into the skillet, cook 2 minutes. Add the pineapple and it's liquid, vinegar, sugar and ginger. Stir together and bring to a full boil. 

After 5 minutes, reduce heat to simmer, and cook until desired veggie tenderness. 

Serve over rice. So simple and so delicious!  


*The Gourmet Garden tubes of spices are a great way to add fresh ingredients to your dishes. I always have the Ginger, Lemongrass, Garlic and Red Pepper on hand. They have so many varieties that I'm sure you'll find at least one that you'll use regularly. Look for them at Wegmans.

No comments:

Post a Comment