Monday, October 17, 2011

My Favorite Soup

squash, carrots & onion
Boiling squash
I'd have to say that soup is my ultimate favorite meal. I eat it year-round and am always looking for new recipes. I make soups that's hot, cold, chunky, creamy, fast, slow -  you name it, I do it. I will admit that you have to make a soup a few times before you are satisfied with the results, and this recipe is no different. 

Squash is an awesome vegetable that you can do so much with, and I love how there are so many varieties to choose from. One of the hardest things about making squash soup is making sure the squash itself is the correct ripeness. I always buy one that seems firm to the touch, and I let it mature on the counter top. If the squash is not ready, your soup will be lacking in taste and texture; and if your squash is too ripe, it will turn to mush. (when you peel & cut it, your knife should go through it with a little force, it should not be difficult) The recipes are endless when it comes to squash, but I hope this next one falls into your favorites.

Butternut Squash Soup (My Favorite!!)
  • 2 pounds butternut squash - peeled, halved, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 2 small onions, chopped
  • 2 carrots, peeled and diced
  • 40 oz. chicken broth
  • salt & pepper
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
  • Sour cream
  • Perfect
  • Parsley

In a soup pot, add the chicken broth, salt & pepper and bring to a boil.
Add the squash and cook for 20 minutes.

Reduce heat to low and add the onion and carrots. Cook for 20 minutes - you want the veggies soft, but not like mush. Add the butter, mix well. Remove pot from stove & allow to cool completely.


Put in a plastic container and refrigerate overnight.

With cream

About an hour and a half before you want to eat, pull the container out of the refrigerator and give it a good stir.

In a blender (or food processor - I use both), add some soup (chunks and broth) and blend until smooth. Pour into a soup pot. Continue until all the soup is back in the pot.

Warm the soup over medium heat and mix thoroughly. Bring to a boil for 3 minutes and turn it down to simmer. Add the cream. Mix well. Allow to simmer for at least 15 minutes before serving.

To serve - in a shallow soup bowl, add some soup, a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle with parsley.
Ready to eat

Have this soup along side any hearty meal or alone with biscuits, either way, it's an amazing fall dinner. Enjoy!

Squash may seem like a difficult piece to work with, but just go for it. We all makes mistakes with food. Have fun with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment