Friday, July 29, 2011

W-S Love.

Williams-Sonoma is a guilty pleasure of mine. I have a collection of tools that make my life much easier (kitchen & herb scissors, bowls, spatulas, pastry bag, etc.) and every one of my towels are from there. Yes, they are more expensive than the towels you could pick up at Target, but I've had them for 6 years now and they still look and feel amazing.

For years I've been going in and out of their retail and outlet stores so it doesn't take a genius to figure out that I get their magazine each month. Not only does the magazine highlight and introduce new products & ideas, but they also include some recipes. This recipe for mac & cheese is from 2009 and it's been my go-to comfort recipe ever since. Yes, I also make 4 other kinds, but the taste of the Gouda in this is wonderful.
Pre-bake

Smoked Macaroni & Cheese
  • 4 tbsp. butter
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 tbsp. tomato paste
  • 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 2 cups shredded smoked Gouda cheese
  • Salt & pepper
  • Pinch of Cayenne pepper
  • 1 lb. rigatoni, cooked according to package directions
Baked to perfection
In a large pot, over medium heat, melt 4 tbsp. butter. Add flour, cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. 
Whisk in milk, cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently until thickened.

Whisk in tomato paste and 1 3/4 cups of each cheese, stir until melted. Add salt, pepper and Cayenne. Stir.

Add cooked pasta to the cheese mixture and stir until well combined.
Pour mixture into a greased baking dish and top with remaining cheese.

Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes. (If the top starts getting too brown while baking, cover with foil)

I serve this with pork BBQ's or chicken - but let's be honest, good mac & cheese goes with everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment