Monday, July 11, 2011

Another weakness... the list keeps growing.

Fresh organic fruit is something I look forward to every summer. I avoid the heat like it's the plague, but the foods of summer are always great. For as long as I can remember, nectarines have been my go-to fruit in the hot months, but lately, I've been on a blueberry kick.

As many of you know, I love coffee, so it's only natural that I'd love coffee cake! (The cc at Starbucks has always been a weakness of mine!) So, I thought I'd share one of my favorite recipes and you can tell me how it compares to your favorite.

Blueberry Coffee Cake

For the Cake:
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
For the Topping:
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour

To make the topping, combine the cinnamon, sugar and flour in a small bowl.
Add butter and beat with a hand mixer until the mixture is crumbly. Set aside.

To make the cake, beat together the egg, milk and butter in a medium bowl.
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.

Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and beat until well mixed.
Stir in blueberries.

Spray a 9 inch diameter dish with Pam for Baking.
Evenly spread the cake batter in the dish and sprinkle with the topping.

Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.

Allow to cool for 20 minutes before cutting. 
Serve with milk or your favorite coffee. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment