Friday, May 13, 2011

Go Organic

I know what you're thinking, it's a difficult economic time, gas is $4/gallon, the cost of healthcare is constantly changing - everything is costing more - so I can't afford to buy organic items. I thought this way too for a while, but I decided that making this move is important for my family & our future. I want you to understand that not everything I buy is organic, I buy the items that matter the most and try to make the best choice otherwise. Buying my organic items only adds about $15/week to my grocery bill. I have some information that will make a transition very easy for you.

Buying organic fruits and veggies are super important to me. When I wanted to make the switch in my house, I did some research to find out what really needs to be done and what non-organic products are the safest for me. My rule of thumb is, if you eat the skin, you should buy organic; and if the skin gets peeled or cut off, you can stick with your regular item.

If you're worried about the cost, you may want to read the signs at the grocery store more carefully. Yes, some organic items will cost more, but I was really surprised when I realized that some items were the same price or even cheaper. For example, organic Roma tomatoes at Wegmans are the same price as the regular Roma tomatoes. A bag of apples, the organic ones are cheaper per pound. Leafy green lettuce, the organic is cheaper than a regular head. The main area where the organic items are going to cost you more are the berries - strawberries, blueberries, raspberries. However, after reading some articles about the number of pesticides that are used, I'll gladly pay the extra money.

Aside from fruits and veggies, I buy organic milk, eggs, yogurt, cheeses*, pastas, juices, cookies, crackers (Ellie's), canned tomatoes & sauces. The organic eggs & dairy items cost more, but they are so worth it and taste amazing. I buy yogurt in a big tub so it's cheaper, the pasta is only 25-50 cents more per box and the tomatoes are the same price or 20 cents more depending on the size of the can. 99% of the time I never have canned veggies on hand, we prefer to use fresh, but I do buy organic ones when a recipe, like chili, calls for them.

*Before heading to the store, check out Horizon & Organic Valley online to print off some coupons. They renew them all the time - I have yet to pay full price for one of their items! Many companies will even email coupons & promotions if you register with them. They are also on Facebook so you can get instant updates, recipe ideas & more. 


One of the snacks that Brad loves is guacamole. I've tried a few different brands (because I don't always have the time or good avocados to make it at home), and Wholly Guacamole is by far the best! It's very fragrant, great tasting, organic and you get 2 huge packs/box for $4.99 - great deal! They have a bunch of different flavors and they should satisfy any guac lover.

Everyone I know has french fries in the freezer, including myself. They are so easy to make as a side for basically anything and everyone likes them - so why not get a better bag? I love Alexia brand fries. They have so many different options for you - and they're more than just fries. I'd have to say that they salt & pepper crinkle fries are my favorite, and the regular fries (pictured above right) are Ellie's favorite.

If you are considering making the move to organic, either 100% or partially, I applaud you. It's important to keep our bodies healthy. As a wife & mom, I'm responsible for making sure my family eats well - so I'm going to go the extra step to keep our bodies happy & full of delicious, nutritious food.  

3 comments:

  1. Followed your tips yesterday when I went to Wegmans. Great suggestions!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Danny I got some organic apples yesturday... Never really knew where to start when it came to buying organic. Also Alexia sweet potato fries are WONDERFUL.. Keep up the great work I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I'm so glad you guys liked the post! I'm really passionate about this topic and so excited that I was happy to help. Buying Organic can be overwhelming, and there is so much to choose from & consider - baby steps will make us all healthier!

    Chrissy, the sweet potato fries are one of my favorites too! That bag has a way of disappearing from the freezer :)

    Thank you both for the comments, they mean a lot to me!

    ReplyDelete