Monday, April 18, 2011

Traditional Sparks...

I sat down last weekend with a new book - The Choice by Nicholas Sparks. Since I've read a few other books by him, I sort of had an idea of what the format would be. I already knew that there would a great set of main characters to fall in love with, the details would be laid out perfectly so that you could almost imagine the scene as you're reading it, and you would find yourself completely engulfed in this book. I made it through this 272 page book in a week and there were nights when I'd sit and read 60 pages.

I've always been a fan of NS, and I'll continue to read & buy his books, but I have to say that I didn't enjoy this one as much as I did the others. I loved Part One - but Part Two left me a little upset. This is just my personal feeling and you may like the fairytale ending... but I was hoping for something different. I so wanted to believe that Travis was going to go my way, but Sparks is obviously a fan of love and I knew that going in. However, I was still hopeful that as I turned the page, he'd throw me a curve ball and leave me feeling completely shocked somehow. Don't get me wrong, I love the passion between them and the description of how their love unfolded, the way every detail was so perfectly expressed... I was just hoping for something else, I suppose.

It's a sweet story that will have you reaching for the tissues, and I can't wait to read another Sparks book - I just hope that maybe one day I'll guess the outcome correctly!

No comments:

Post a Comment