Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Chowda!

When people hear the word chowder, they probably think of clams. I'm here to change that - from now on when you hear chowder (or chowda, depending on where you're from), I want you to think potatoes! I have over 3 dozen recipes for different kinds of chowder, but you either have to love clams or corn. Most of the time, reading the list of ingredients for a filling chowder can be taxing, but I think this recipe will surprise you with how simple & delicious it is. I always make a double batch of this and freeze it because it's something that my husband asks for quite often... mainly because he loves bacon & cheese. This soup is sure to please any crowd and people will think you spent hours in the kitchen... and I love that I only dirty one pot!

Potato Cheese Chowder
  • 4 oz. reduced sodium bacon
  • 2 tbsp. butter (I use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter)
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
  • 2 tsp. fresh thyme
  • 2 tsp. basil
  • 2 tsp. granulated garlic
  • 2 scallions, sliced
  • 1/2 bunch of chives, chopped
  • 3-4 small/medium red potatoes, washed, skins on & cut in bite size pieces
  • salt & pepper
  • 8 oz. grated sharp cheddar cheese
In a large soup pot, over medium heat, cook bacon until no longer pink. Remove from pot, let cool, and chop into small pieces. Set aside.

In that same pot, add the butter and allow it take all that bacon fat & grease off the bottom of the pan. Add the chicken broth and cook for 3-5 minutes - you want the flavors to just combine. Add the heavy cream, allow it to mix well with the chicken broth for about 3 minutes.

Double batch
Add the bacon, thyme, basil, garlic, scallions, chives, potatoes, salt and pepper - simmer for 15 -20 minutes. (Make sure to thoroughly stir this soup - the potatoes will want to stick to the bottom of the pot!) Once the potatoes have softened, add the cheese - handfuls at a time - and mix well after each addition. (You don't want a big cheese clump)

Once everything is in the pot, simmer for another 10 minutes & you're good to go.

Serve this with a nice side salad and you'll be delightfully full!

No comments:

Post a Comment