Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Add this to your shopping list...

When it comes to reading, I either get sucked in to the book and can't put it down, or I read along slowly waiting for something great to happen. If the book is dull, I have a hard time picking it up. There have been some books that I've purchased & when I get half way through - I absolutely despise it. I want it to end. I get mad at myself for wasting my money. I would just quit the book and move on, but then I'd always wonder what happened to the main character.

Before my daughter was born, I would sit for hours and get lost in a book - now that task is more difficult. Don't get me wrong, I love playing with her (she's the reason I get out of bed in the morning <3), but I really do miss reading like I used to.

That being said, you could understand why a 400+ page book would take me a lot longer to get through now versus 4 years ago. However, for the last 100 pages of The Help, I was completely attached! Kathryn Stockett wrote an amazing book - and it was her first!

The Help is powerful, strong and really made me appreciate the progress that this country has made. It takes place in Jackson, Mississippi, where Stockett is from, and it follows these women who want to make a change. I guess the best description would be: a story about what it's like to be a black woman during the civil rights movement. There are 3 main woman who form an unusual, and forbidden, friendship that sucks you in and has you rooting for them throughout the book. They are the definition of friendship. Friendship and acceptance regardless of religion, race or sexual orientation.
I don't want to tell you too much, just in-case you haven't read it yet, but I can tell you that it is absolutely worth your time & money. You need to own this book. I can't wait until Ellie is old enough to read it.
What a great story, behind the history, of how this country was & how it was forever changed - simply by people treating each other equally. As much as this book showed what the past was like, it's also very relevant today in regards to how far we still have to come with our social issues.

I'd recommend buying & reading this book before the movie comes out on August 12, 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment