Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Turkey or Beef

I haven't purchased ground beef in about 9 years and I really don't have any plan on getting some anytime soon. I prefer to use ground turkey, chicken or venison instead of beef - it's less greasy, tastes better and doesn't leave me feeling incredibly stuffed after the meal is over. One meal that I always liked growing up was meatloaf. As a kid, you always eat a small piece so I never felt over-stuffed afterward; and I always love meals that are served with mashed potatoes (there's the Irish coming out!). I have tried many times to replicate my Nana's meatloaf and I can't seem to get it right - so instead, I'm trying to put my own spin on a new version.

Overloaded Turkey Loaf
Fresh from the oven
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped
  • 1/2 large sweet onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1/3 cup chicken stock
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 6 oz. crumbled feta cheese
  • 1 pound ground turkey (you can use beef if you prefer)
  • 1 8oz can crushed tomatoes
  • Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees - you will be able to make the loaf while the oven is heating.

Heat oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat, add mushrooms, onions, and garlic. Saute 5 to 6 minutes, and stir in red pepper flakes. 

In a large bowl, combine chicken stock, Worcestershire sauce, egg, breadcrumbs, feta cheese, and mushroom mixture. Fold in turkey - you just want it evenly mixed, don't over do it. 


One of my favorite meals
Get out a large baking sheet, line with foil & spray with Pam. Shape meat mixture into a long rectangular loaf directly on the tray. Spoon tomatoes on top of the loaf and add the salt & pepper over the entire loaf. Bake for 1 hour or until cooked through. Remove from oven, let stand 3 minutes, cut and serve.

Meatloaf of all kinds goes great with mashed potatoes & gravy. Make your regular mashed potatoes (for me that's 4 small/medium red potatoes with skins on, butter, milk, salt & pepper), but while whipping them, add 2 oz. of cream cheese! They will be incredibly smooth and delicious - enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment