Today started off great... until my beloved coffee pot decided to die. I know it's not healthy to be so attached to a machine unless medically necessary - but trust me, you don't want to see or be around me if I haven't had my caffeine. So, I think it's necessary.
I was making my lunch... smelled those delicious first few drops of percolation when BAM - she kicked the bucket. I was standing at my kitchen sink, crying.
And so my Monday was off to a terrific start.
B is traveling, it's tax season (work is crazy with a capital C), we had to buy a new computer - I'm doing my very best to stay positive and spread the joy.
I failed today.
I think everything is just finally getting to me and I can't hold back anymore. I finally cracked.
There is an issue that's been bugging me for the past couple of years, and I've always just let it go. Look the other way. Take a deep breath and walk away. I've told myself that it doesn't matter what these people say or think - but honestly, words can be very painful.
I'm not speaking for all the parents that have a single child, I'm speaking for me.
Warning: The following statements may irritate you. You may think I'm overreacting. You may think I'm right. Whatever.
To all those who know me, all those who see me on a daily basis, everyone that walks by and/or has absolutely no idea of who I am - please listen.
I am not less of a Mom because I have 1 child.
I feel the same things you do. I struggle to make the right decisions everyday, same as you. I put my family first. I worry about my daughter every single moment of every single day. I have the same hopes and dreams for her, and our family, as you do for yours. I want her to be happy and successful and kind. I want her help others whenever possible.
I want to be a part of every activity she's participating in or cares about even if it really isn't my interest. I will go out of my comfort zone to make her happy. I want to go on her class trips. I want to take her on vacations and show her all this world has to offer.
I'm a Mom, this is what we do. So, when someone says I "only have one child", "be glad you only have one", "you must have it so easy", "when are you having another child', "you must have so much time on your hands", etc - it's incredibly hurtful.
I "only" have one child?! Only?
Not okay.
I know people sometimes just talk, a lot of times it doesn't really mean anything. People just say things without a second thought. We all do it. But when you hear the same things over and over again, it starts to chip away at you a little.
I am far from perfect, I make mistakes all the freakin' time. I'm trying my best... and sometimes, I'm guessing at what to do here.
I don't know much, but I do know this - I would give my life for my daughter. I love her more than anything else in this world. I grew her and loved her from the very moment she was a part of my body.
Me "only" going through this experience once doesn't take away from the magic of motherhood - I have a wicked beautiful scar to prove it.
I would love for us to support each other instead of looking for ways to compare & rank us. I mean, come on - haven't we all been that Mom with the screaming child in the grocery store aisle?
Mom... Mother... a wonderful badge of honor to have - and it's the same one no matter how many offspring you have.
Oh Momma :( I know exactly how you feel...
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry that people are ignorant and make stupid comments.
You are an amazing mother!
Even though I'm older than you, I've looked up to you in parenting skills.
You are wonderful! And anyone who tells you otherwise, does not have a clue what they are talking about.
Love you. <3