We were in need of a family getaway. Serious need. Between work, school, soccer (5 days/week) and taking care of the house – life can get exhausting pretty quickly.
We decided to take a long weekend and head up Rt. 15 to
Corning, Watkins Glen and Ithaca. I hippie’s dream location, I know – I almost didn’t
come back. We had a busy 3 days planned, so we saddled up early Saturday
morning and went right to The Farm Sanctuary. http://www.farmsanctuary.org/
I really don’t know how to put The Farm Sanctuary into words,
but experiencing it gave me a sense of calm and affirmed my beliefs. Several
people associated with TFS are vegan, just like their founder (and now one of
my idols) Gene Baur – so me being a vegetarian, I learned a lot… it was very
thought provoking. We started with the cows, and I just wanted to bring them home with me. They are currently separated into 2 groups, regular herd and special needs. We pet them, hugged them and stood in awe.
There were several pens of pigs – mommas and babies are kept
together, and their bond is incredible. The sheep and goats… there were kiddos
all around, beautiful noises filled the air. Chickens wander free…
As we walked, our guide gave tips and stories about the
animals we are seeing, what they’ve been through, where they came from and what
projects are currently in the works. We saw (and interacted with) cows, pigs,
chickens, ducks, turkeys, goats and sheep. All the animals have names – and they
know and respond to them. They are respected and loved.
They are outside,
getting dirty, living their lives as they should – they aren’t stuck in cages
so small that they can’t turn around or be with their children. Their beaks are
not burned off so they can be shoved in a room with 10,000 other birds. They
aren’t kept in veal crates for 4 months until they meet their cruel death. They
aren’t forced to have a litter several times a year. They aren’t force-fed huge amounts of food only to be killed for their livers.
They live freely.
These animals, they are someone – not something. I’m not going to shove vegetarianism and veganism down your throat, but I do hope that each of you will at least look into where your food comes from. Educate yourself on how animals are treated and thrown away like garbage, even when they’re still alive. I promise, this information will shock and anger you.
We can all make small changes that will have a huge impact on the meat/farming industry and our planet all together. Please take a few minutes to look around on The Farm Sanctuary site, hopefully it will inspire you.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love Ellen. She is a wonderful person and watching this video will shine light on her choice to be vegan.
No comments:
Post a Comment