Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Sharing some humor...

Hey everyone!! I hope you all had fantastic Christmas and New Year's celebrations - ours was great until Mom had her accident. As you've seen on Facebook, she's making progress, but we're keeping things private for a while, I know you understand. <3

So, aside from making trips back & forth to W-B, work, school & being Mom, life's been busy! Busy is good, even when it's exhausting. Lately we've been enjoying the little things a lot more, that usually happens when someone in the family is facing a life-threatening situation, but it's a great reminder of what really matters in our crazy busy, social, material lives. Without getting into too much detail, because I'll cry - quite frankly, Bean has been my savior through all this.

I'm handling this/these situations by embracing the normal schedule that I love... along with extra cleaning, exercise, reading and humor.

Sutliff style humor (aka bad luck, a kick in the face, an insensitive & misunderstood joke) is always entertaining... and when the water heater element decided to blow, nobody was laughing.

Salt in a wound is never good, but what the heck, let's pile it on.

Brad was downstairs putting away some stuff, doing some recycling, etc and all of a sudden there's a horrible sound, the lights in the house flicker and the breaker gets thrown. Brad describes the noise as "something similar to a small firecracker going off... or blowing something up" - either way, all I knew was that it sounded like money. After several minutes of listening to profanity and things being thrown, I went downstairs and we came up with a plan.
After several hours of research, countless trips to Lowe's, more $$ than I care to discuss and having to space out baths and showers - we were all very close to a meltdown.
Long, long story short, Brad can now add 'amateur plumber' to his list of qualities.

FYI - 8 words you never want to hear while plumbing: "I cut the pipe in the wrong place."

Second, I feel like a superhero when I scoop ice cream now. A neat trick I picked up from our beloved Pinterest, after opening a new container of ice cream, put it in a sealed bag before putting it back in the freezer - it makes a world of difference. Yes, I still run the scooper under hot water first, but holy crow, it's amazing. I may not have split the atom, but I feel like I made a huge stride in my life by learning this. It's okay to laugh at me, I know how ridiculous I sound. Also, if you've been aware of this trick, first - don't steal my thunder, second - shame on you for not sharing. Ice cream lovers need to stick together.

Third, I purchased and read Susan Mallery's reissue of A Fool's Gold Christmas and I was absolutely delighted by this heartwarming story. This takes place before the last trilogy I read, but it was really interesting to get some more of the back-story of the characters you grow to know and love.
I love Susan's writing style, the way she interacts with her fans through social media and the contests she runs through her website. She's got a gift for making you care about every character she writes, even the random waitress who you think you'll never hear about again.
She's got several books under her belt and I know you'll love them!

Fourth, I'm not at all ashamed to admit that I love, love, love getting my eyebrows waxed. Yes, like most women, I pluck - but there's something special & invigorating about having hair ripped from your face. I love the feel of the hot wax and then that brief second of Holy Sh1t! right before the tape is pulled off. Ahhh.
Aside from the act itself, I love the coconut powder mix that gets applied afterwards. I don't care what anyone says, those few seconds of minimal pain feel significantly better than any single time you've ever plucked a hair that you're certain was attached to your ass because now you're wanting to lay on the ground and cry. You know what I'm talking about.  

Regardless of your thoughts or feelings about my random thoughts and feelings, I hope you at least had a good laugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment