Monday, September 9, 2013

Roll It Up.

Well, I survived the first week of Bean going to school, her turning 6 on Saturday and I'm still alive after being home alone (really alone, this is day 1 since Brad took off last week to make sure I didn't go insane) for almost 3 hours. I'm making it, but the silence is deafening.

So, here I am, laundry going, coffee in hand, waiting for it to warm up so I can paint the Bilco doors (this project was only supposed to go on for 2 days and it's been several now - thank you, husband) - so it's a great time to tell you about another one of my favorite dishes to make.

I've admitted several times that I love pasta. I'm obsessed. I should be Italian.

Pasta: all kinds, all the time.

Layering...
One of the trends on Pinterest was lasagna rolls, it grabbed my attention quickly. It seems like such a simple idea, so why didn't the rest of us figure it out sooner?! Regardless, it's awesome - especially when you have 2 vegetarians and 1 carnivore to feed in the same house.
I love how I can begin the lasagna the same way I always have - mix up my favorite cheese combo, cook the noodles and add whatever I want. Roll them up and place them in a prepped bread pan, bake & eat - perfect.

I personally feel that there are certain recipes in life that you just know, or were taught by a family member or friend - for me, lasagna fits that bill. I've never used a recipe and I have no intentions of starting now. So, whatever recipe you love or are comfortable with, use it. 

Done!
Lasagna Rolls
  • your favorite cheese combo (mine is Ricotta, fresh Mozzarella, Parmigiano Reggiano, eggs, spinach, garlic, s&p and Italian seasoning)
  • sauce mixture of your choice (I also add diced tomatoes)
  • lasagna noodles, cooked
  • veggies, meats & fresh herbs
Preheat your oven, roll out the noodles and layer them however you see fit.

I can usually get 3 large, or 4 small, rolls in each dish. I prefer a veggie combo of mushrooms, onions and peppers added to mine. I always add fresh (cooked & drained) spinach to my cheese combo because I love adding as much green goodness as possible. I think adding the fresh, large basil leaves really add a burst of flavor to each roll.

These are a great, easy way to satisfy every person in the house, and it's a great way to use up those left-over, random foods that are sitting in the refrigerator. I've made buffalo or BBQ chicken ones before, pizza style with pepperoni or sausage, all veggies or even plain-Jane, and they're great.

I bake them at 375 until the cheese is bubbling and slightly brown. Have fun with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment