Monday, September 17, 2012

Your Knees Buckle

I may have to join Soup Lovers (or Addicts) Anonymous.

I found this awesome new recipe from Deliciously Organic and I couldn't wait to try it out. I went to Wegmans the next day to get all my supplies and started the soup that night. I was so excited - any time I get to use leeks in a soup it adds to the joy.

As the pot was simmering, the smell filled the whole house and it slapped you in the face when you walk in. It was one of the best smelling soups I've ever made. It was super easy to put together and the taste is un-be-lievable.

Since we were having company the next day, I thought this would be a good test to see if it was really as good as I thought - if they hated it, it would be tossed. Since everyone ate it (some had seconds), I knew I had accomplished the happy food coma that I aim for. That coma is a wonderful thing - for a few moments, there's peace in the world, the belly is full and you are 100% happy.

In my personal coma, the only thing that could have made the moment better would be a piece of chocolate.

This recipe is for 6 generous servings. Try it, you'll love it! 

Creamy Chicken, Vegetable & Tomato Soup
  • 4 tbsp. butter
  • 4 large carrots, chopped
  • 1 large leek, chopped
  • 2 ribs celery, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
  • 4 cups stock (vegetable or chicken)
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 (24 ounce) jar crushed tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
In a medium pan, cook chicken until no longer pink. Allow to cool and cut into cubes. 

Melt the butter in a large soup pot, add carrots, leek, celery and garlic. Cover pot and cook on low heat for about 25 minutes - you want the veggies soft but not mushy.

Add mushrooms, salt & Italian seasoning to pot. Stir together and cook for an additional 8-10 minutes until mushrooms are cooked down.

Add the stock, chicken and tomatoes to the pot. Cook for 15 minutes.

Stir in cream, mix well and serve.

I served this awesome soup with rosemary bread and it really added a pinch of extra flavor.

This soup has become a new favorite and I have a feeling it will be requested quite often! 

No comments:

Post a Comment