Saturday, November 3, 2012

Another Great Book

I've been a little absent lately, I apologize. I have, however, been reading some great novels by some of my favorite ladies.

I picked up A Total Waste of Makeup by Kim Gruenenfelder quite a while ago and always managed to pass by it on my shelf. I'm still not sure how I pulled that off, but I'm glad I finally decided it was time to see what this book was all about. I admit that the chocolate chip mint ice-cream on the spine is what made me stop on it this time, and I ended up laughing out loud more than a few times while reading.

The leading lady, Charlie, is 100% hilarious. She's a smart, lovable, laughable character that possesses a real quality that makes you root for her... and understand her pain at the same time. The set-up of this book is different from any I've read before - she's writing a book to give to her future great grand-niece. It's an awesome idea and honestly, it's something that I wish someone would have done for me. Her advice is hilarious, sometimes brutally honest, logical and also makes you examine your life.

As if dealing with men isn't enough, she's approaching her 30th birthday, works as an assistant for a crazy(understatement of the year!), handsome actor in Hollywood, is planning/helping/avoiding/dreading/cursing/maid of honor in her sister's upcoming wedding and trying to manage her own life. She has 2 awesome girlfriends that will make you almost pee in your pants with the stuff they come up with & an absolute absurd family. I'm telling you, this is one of the most 'out there' families I've ever read or heard about. There's a younger, bachelor brother, bridezilla sister, hippie parents (yes, they do that) who are divorced but live together while taking on other lovers, judgmental & appalling grandparents and a great grandmother who is kicking ass, taking names and making no apologies.

Along with the awesome comedy, drama & lies - there is heartbreak. This is a great, light, fun, weekend read. Although this was my first book from Kim, I know it won't be my last. I can't wait to pass it along to my sister!

P.S. There is quite a bit of foul/colorful language so if that offends you, definitely do not read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment