Friday, January 6, 2012

Sweet penne.

I love pasta. Every kind available. (Sometimes I think I'm part Italian, but I haven't been able to prove it yet.) One of my favorite and most comforting dishes is penne with basil roasted tomatoes, sweet garlic sauce and Parmesan cheese. I can't really explain it, but I know for sure that it's a feeling I never got from Grandma's noodles and sauce. It's really easy to make, very wallet friendly and it's something the whole family will enjoy. {Make this meal really shine by using whole wheat pasta and organic basil & tomatoes!}

My Favorite Pasta
  • 1/2-1 box whole wheat penne pasta
  • 3-4 tomatoes on the vine, sliced
  • 12 fresh basil leaves
  • Extra-virgin olive oil
  • salt & pepper
  • Italian seasoning
  • 1 jar of your favorite pasta sauce
  • Garlic, granulated
  • 1 tsp. sugar
Preheat toaster oven to 250 degrees.

In a small crock (sprayed with Pam), add some olive oil. Alternate layering the tomatoes and basil leaves. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning, and add a drizzle of oil.

Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes.

While the tomatoes are cooking, start your pasta. Cook according to package.

Drain the noodles. Add sauce, garlic and sugar to the pot. Heat through.

Add pasta, mix well.

When tomatoes are ready, add your pasta and sauce mixture to the plate, add tomatoes and basil & top with Parmesan cheese.

Sometimes I throw in some ground turkey or meatballs, mushrooms, onions or peppers to this dish. Have fun with it. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment