Thursday, December 1, 2011

The perfect night.

No matter how tough the day has been, my daughter knows exactly what I need to make sure I go to bed a happy Mommy. She has her 'moments' where I wonder what I'm doing wrong or how did it get to this point - but the good days & moments far outweigh those of questions and confusion.

Yesterday was a pretty good day - we played with her dolls and animals, colored, painted, worked in her school book & watched Cars 2. But it was the after bath time that really did me in.

I love how she smells and feels after her 'soak'. She has that baby smell that I wish I could bottle to keep forever. She gets her pajamas on, brushes her teeth, combs her hair, cleans the ears, washes her hands and runs to me for snuggle time - my absolute favorite part of the day. I know that no matter what has gone on {good & bad}, no matter how many time-outs, sad faces, disagreements, laughs, smiles & enjoyment we've all had, everything is right in the world when she's in my arms.

When she starts to doze, she rubs my cheek with her hand... just like she did as an infant. She gets hunkered down in that same position on me, let's out that beautiful sigh and she's almost out. Just when I think the eyes are closed for good, she quietly says "I love you, Mommy" - and my heart melts. When I look down, she has that same baby face, with the big cheeks, perfectly pink lips, light, delicate hands, ever-so-soft hair and that Ellie smell.

When I look to my husband, I have tears in my eyes. He says "wow, do I love her" and gives me a smile. In that moment, I know I'm right where I'm supposed to be. My life is what I've always wanted. It's not perfect, but I'm extremely happy.

I want to remember these moments for as long as I live and I hope all of you have these moments that take your breath away.

Coffee gets me through the day (and the tantrums), but my daughter makes me want tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment