| Ready to be punctured. |
Apple pie is my absolute favorite dessert. Yes, I have a very strong love {okay, obsession} for chocolate and try to get as much of it as I can - however, my most comforting, feels like home, makes me happy, piece of sugary goodness, is apple pie. I will admit that I've eaten more than one piece at a single sitting, but I justify it to myself at that split second by saying "It's fruit, right?" - and then I worry about it later. We've all done it and don't admit it, it's okay, I'll keep your secret.
If you don't have the time this crazy holiday season to make a wonderful homemade apple pie from start to finish but still want all those delicious flavors - you're going to love me.
2 Bite Apple Pies
- 2 large apples, peeled & chopped (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Double pie crust (homemade or store bought)
After baking.
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Add brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add flour, sugar and butter - mix well - cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
Turn heat to medium-low, allow to cook all the way down. I let mine go a long time (usually 40 minutes) so it's almost like chunky applesauce. Stir frequently. Turn off the heat.
Roll out your dough into 2 large circles, the same as if you were doing a regular pie. Using a round cookie cutter, select whatever size you'd like to use, and cut out your circles. I use a medium sized one so I can get between 6 and 8 circles from each half of the crust -- so I have 1 dozen-16 pieces total.
Add 1/2 tablespoon apple mixture to the center of your circle. Moisten edges with water. Fold in half over filling. Press with fork to seal. Puncture the tops with a fork to let steam escape & place them on a baking sheet.
| 7 Dozen - Freshly glazed. |
Bake at 425 degrees for 12 minutes.
While they're baking, make the glaze.
Combine powdered sugar, milk and vanilla in small bowl, mix well with electric hand mixer until smooth.
When they're ready, remove the pies from the oven and allow them to cool on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes. Using a spoon, drizzle the glaze over your pie pieces. Allow to set for about 20-30 minutes before serving.
Serve these hot or cold, with coffee, milk, tea or hot cocoa. Don't think you're limited to apples for a filling - use this same recipe for pumpkin, cherry, apricot, blueberry, strawberry or chocolate filling. The possibilities are endless.
These are a hit, I promise.
They look absolutely delicious! I am definitely trying this recipe soon. :)
ReplyDelete