Monday, June 23, 2014

"My Subaru"

Say what you will about people marrying their high school sweetheart - I'm completely happy & overjoyed with my decision... no matter how crazy he makes me. We are partners in every sense of the word, and there isn't anyone else I'd rather go through life with.

A big part of what I love about Brad is his humor. It's off-putting to some, sometimes a little too much, but I wouldn't want that to ever change. He can make me laugh at the drop of a hat, in good times and bad - and there are days when I really, really need that.

I've always felt that our history is unique, just as I'm sure you feel the same way about yours. We are lucky enough to have a history that dates back to our youth, and reminiscing is always fun.

I remember when we were at the library in Kingston, PA... we went there to get a few books for a school project, and when we went outside, the &*%!$#+ thing wouldn't start. There was absolute panic all over my face, while he was completely calm. Apparently, this was a common occurrence. I remember it like it was yesterday... "Here. You hit that thing (AKA the starter) with this hammer while I try to get it going."

I hated that car.

During his recent organizational fit in the basement, he decided to go through his childhood/teen years totes to see if there's anything he can toss... or bring upstairs. I can't even tell you how happy I was when the Teen Ink magazine surfaced and I was able to read his beautiful, moving poetry again.... 


What can I say, he has a way with words.

Let it be known, I hated that car. I still hate that car and it's been dead for years. It was by-far the ugliest, most unpredictable, POS I've ever ridden in. You had the pedal to the floor and you could barely reach the speed limit. And when you had it to the floor, the shifter would shake so bad you thought it was going to snap off.

It was ridiculous.

I hit the absolute breaking point when he said "I have farther to drive, so I should probably take the Cavalier and you can drive the beast to work." Okay, fine. That was an easy decision and it made sense. I was completely on board with this until I actually drove it to work and by the time I got there, 15 minutes later, I smelled like gas. "Oh yeah, it's been like that for a while."

We sold the Black Beauty for $200 to a guy Brad worked with and his daughter totaled it less than 6 months later. I'm glad the car did it's job, the driver wasn't injured - but I also give huge props to the teenager who finally destroyed the vehicle that haunted my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment