Thursday, April 11, 2013

Love my PB&J

Eating (&shopping) USDA Certified Orgnaic and Non-GMO food can sometimes be hectic, but I enjoy the challenge. Things have gotten A LOT easier with the Non-GMO Project labels, but I still have the company lists and apps on my phone to verify if needed. It's important for us to make informed, educated decisions when it comes to food.

There are several brands of Organic products we love, but I still experiment and test because you never know what gem you might stumble upon. We try different products and I keep a list of the things we really liked and things I need to keep looking for.

A favorite food item in the Sutliff house (and yours right?!) is a PB&J sandwich. Yes, this favorite has been around forever, but we can improve this classic. Bean eats a sandwich almost every day so I wanted to find the perfect items to make her a healthy, GMO free, organic sandwich that she'll ask for over and over again. (I have a very, very strong feeling that this will be in her lunch every.single.day come school time, so the pressure was on to strike gold. Yes, I'm the mother that refuses to let her eat that stuff they pass off in the cafeteria as 'food'. I also doubt they have many vegetarian options...)

First (easy swap), organic wheat bread.
Second, organic PB. We prefer Wegmans Organic Creamy PB, so good.
Third, organic jelly/jam/spread. We've tried several brands, with varying textures and taste, but Crofter's Organic Premium Spread is our favorite! The grape spread is amazing. I love how smooth it is, it's not overly sweet, it doesn't rip the bread when you spread it, it has a great texture and it's even great on crackers.

Crofter's makes several kinds of premium spreads and I promise you'll find at least 2 you love. You can choose from strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, blackberry, apricot, four fruit, concord grape, sicilian blood orange, morello cherry, mango and pomegranate.


They also make 4 kinds of Superfruit Spreads and 7 kinds of Just Fruit Spreads.

I'm fairly certain that the next batch of Swedish meatballs I make for Brad will taste great with Crofter's in the sauce. I'm hungry just thinking about it. 

I love Crofter's and I hope you guys will try their products. You can find them at Wegmans, or you can use their Where To Buy tool on their website to find a retailer close to you.

------------------------------------------------------------

I have been posting stuff for a while about being Organic and Non-GMO, but if you have any questions, please ask. I wasn't aware that most people are unaware of what is going on in the food industry or that a lot of people don't know what a GMO is. I hope you take the time to do a little reading, you won't be disappointed.

What is GMO?

Excellent resource for all things (&companies, products) related to GMOs.
I am not a science experiment

No comments:

Post a Comment