Friday, May 18, 2012

Yummy Potato Soup

Since I received The Joy of Cooking for Christmas this past year, I've been reading through it on a weekly basis. There are so many recipes in there - I don't know if I'll ever get through it, but it's fun to read and be inspired. 

As you all know, I eat soup year-round and any soup that has potatoes in it always makes it's way into the rotation. I've always been a fan of potato cheese soup, vegetable with extra potato, cream of potato soup, beef soup with heavy potato - you get my drift.

Recently I've been adding bacon to all the potato soups I've made, but I wanted to switch it up this time.

This recipe can be found on page 130 in TJoC - it's an oldie but goodie.

Baked Potato Soup
  • 3 tablespoons butter or oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 5 cups peeled and cubed baked potatoes (I left the skins on because we like that extra texture)
  • 6 cups chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • salt & pepper
  • cheese for topping, optional - but who doesn't love cheese on soup?!
I baked 5 medium/large red potatoes in the oven for 1 hour at 400 degrees. Remove them, let them cool and cube them.

In a soup pot, over medium-high heat, add 3 tbsp. butter and allow to start to melt.
Add the onion and cook until soft.

Add the potatoes and stock - bring to a simmer. (I kept this on low heat for about 30 minutes to let everything work together. I prefer a thicker, well mixed soup)

Once heated through, add the heavy cream & sour cream and mix well. Add salt & pepper.

Serve with fresh cheddar on top.

I've been making my soups the day before I plan to serve them - that extra day of sitting makes a huge difference. Day 2 of this soup is awesome! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment