Friday, May 4, 2012

Lemon?! Yes, please.

I found another new recipe to love - props to Pinterest and The Pioneer Woman.

I, like everyone, have a pretty long list of foods I LOVE - but I want news ways to mix them together to create a new appreciation for their tastes. Lemon, basil, cheese, chicken and pasta - amazing and impossible to mess up.

For this recipe, you absolutely have to grill the chicken, pan frying won't give it that great smokey taste, and fresh ingredients are a must.
I have to say, I've had these ingredients together before, but the amounts of lemon & basil take this dish to a new level. {If you're not a fan of lemon, this recipe probably won't please you.} There's a wonderful aroma that will fill the kitchen as you make the sauce, and the fresh basil scent will take your mind to a wonderful place.

When I took the first bite, I was reminded of that scene from Ratatouille when he first eats the cheese and strawberry together -- absolute happiness. This is a great dish for those outside spring & summer dinners we're all planning - not to mention it's complete in less than 30 minutes!! 

Grilled Chicken with Lemon Basil Pasta
  • 4 chicken breasts, grilled, sliced
  • 1 pound penne pasta
  • 1/2 stick butter
  • 3 whole lemons, juiced
  • 3/4 cups heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup half-and-half
  • 1-1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
  • Salt and pepper
  • 20 whole fresh basil leaves, chopped
Cook pasta according to package and reserve 1 cup of hot pasta water before you drain.

Drain pasta & leave in colander.
 
In the same pot, melt butter over medium heat and squeeze in the juice of 3 lemons. Whisk together.

Add heavy cream and half-and-half. Whisk until hot.

Add all the cheese and whisk until melted. Add salt and pepper. (If consistency is too thick, add some of the hot pasta water to thin it out.)

Once the sauce is ready, add the basil, pasta and chicken breasts - toss well to coat. Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment