Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Happy Herbivore

Hello there!!

As most of you saw on Facebook, May 1st was my 1 year anniversary of being a vegetarian.

I can't tell you how good it feels to say that!
-Educate-

I knew when I made this decision, it was something I did for personal reasons, personal views, health concerns and my general outlook on life and the world. I didn't want to post anything before now because I think that when you decide to make a big change in your life, you shouldn't make a snap judgement or assessment. I'm a year in, and I feel comfortable having this talk now.

First of all - I'm not the first vegetarian in this area, but when I would mention it to people, they'd look at me like I'm crazy. The big eyes.... then the smirk - you can feel judgement oozing from some people.
They ask me why, or what made me do this, or how can you live without meat? It was simple for me. Never in my life have I craved meat - never. I used to eat it, but I was just fine without it.
Look, there are hundreds of thousands of people living every single day on this planet and they've never consumed a piece of animal. Not only are they living, but they are thriving and living amazing lives.

Second - tell someone you're vegetarian and suddenly they're a nutritionist. Never in my life have I seen people so concerned about a person's protein intake. Whether or not you agree with my choice, I've had several discussions with physicians and I'm perfectly healthy - so please stop asking.


Sorry for the language, but this card really makes my point.

Third - "Don't you miss bacon?"

NO. 

No, I do not miss bacon. I do not miss chewing on strips of pig flesh. Even before I made this choice, I honestly cannot remember the last time I had a strip of bacon. Who needs bacon when there's wine, chocolate & coffee? Seriously.

Fourth - I don't walk around telling people that I disagree with their food choices, so why are they getting in my face? I have never - ever - gotten in someone's face or personal space and told them how I feel about them eating meat. I've never lectured. Not a single soul. You'd think that respect goes both ways...

OK - I choose not to eat animals because....

Do you really want to know?

I hate the way animals are treated.
I think it's absolutely insane and wrong to inject an animal with steroids and other drugs to make it grow faster.
If you choose to eat meat - fine - but do it responsibly.
I believe that we could all go vegetarian a few days a week and the impact on the world would be huge.
Photo by Organic Valley
I think the best way to raise animals is on an open farm - no small cages of any kind.
Animals should be respected for what they're capable of.

If you want more personal views and opinions, I'd be happy to discuss - but this all comes down to a respect issue. Respect for your right to make a choice. Respect and acceptance for views that are different than yours. Respect for living things - and education about the food system.

Take a look around... do some research - it will shock you.

Knowledge is power.

You don't have to agree with me. Differences are what make us thrive and succeed as a society.

This was, from day one, a personal decision. I feel better, I'm less sluggish. I have more energy now than I can ever remember having. I'm trying new foods and recipes - I'm making health a priority.

You can eat what you want - but so can I.

No comments:

Post a Comment