Annnyyywwwaaayyy, I had a glorious vacation in the OBX last week and it took everything I had to get in the truck to come home. I would move there in a heartbeat. Yes, it can be hectic, but I enjoy crossing that bridge, turning on to 12 and feeling like we're away from the world. I love the entire atmosphere, the relaxation, the gorgeous ocean... it's heaven to me.
One of the interesting and fun parts of living this veg lifestyle is learning to go to restaurants and family functions that are always heavy on the meat & fish. Was it fun being around all that fresh fish that they were cooking in pounds of butter and garlic? No, but I never had a craving or a sad moment that I wasn't taking part in the seafood frenzy. Thank you veggie sushi. One of my favorite moments was when we were at a restaurant and Bean was looking at the fish tank, stating how beautiful they are and asking which ones I thought were married, when I turned around and saw a plate of tuna go by on a waiter's tray. Call it circle of life, call it ironic, or just plain funny - I laughed. Pretty fish to dead fish, I found it comical.
This annual trip is by far one of the best weeks of our entire year and only 354 days until we get to return to beautiful North Carolina.
Since we had to return to reality, and deal with the after-vacation-depression, things are picking right back up again. I admit that I severely missed cooking in my kitchen while we were away, so it's great to be back in my comfort zone. One of my newest (and one of Brad's new favorite) dishes to whip up in my little bubble is veg stuffed peppers.
If you are not a pepper, onion and mushroom fan, you almost have to absolutely love them, you might as well stop reading right now because you'll hate this recipe.
Oh So Yummy, Stuffed Peppers
- 1 large green bell pepper, halved and seeded (I've also used a red pepper)
- 3 slices Provolone cheese
- 4 oz white mushrooms, sliced
- 4 oz baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Salt & pepper
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Spray a small baking sheet with non-fat cooking spray, and place peppers on it, cut side down. Roast until peppers begin to become tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
In a prepared, large nonstick skillet, add onion and garlic. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir often.
Add mushrooms, Italian seasoning, s&p and cook for about 8 minutes. You want the vegetables soft but not mushy.
Reduce heat to low; sprinkle the mixture with flour and stir to coat. Stir in broth and bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer until a little of the liquid remains.
Add 1/2 slice of cheese in the bottom of each pepper. Divide the mixture into 2 portions then scoop one portion onto each
pepper half. Top each with one slice of the cheese and place the tray back in
oven for about 4 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
The taste will surprise you, it's really good. My husband who loves meat (all kinds) more than most things in life, has asked me to make these instead of regular Philly style from now on. Vegetarianism is awesome if you do it right. These pepper are awesome and I really hope you guys love them!
No comments:
Post a Comment